Contrary to most beliefs, a lot of accidents can happen at the workplace. Here are some office safety tips to ensure your safety and that of your colleagues.
Basic Pointers to Ensure Office Safety
Keep the following pointers in mind to ensure that your workplace remains safe, secure and comfortable for yourself and the rest of the people who work with you.
- consult and abide by the local regulations
- teaching employees safety drills
- ensure all equipment is working properly
- keep the workplace clear
Consult and Abide by the Local Regulations
Every city has its own building and safety codes. Make sure that your building complies with these codes. A lot of accidents happen because the building is not up to standards. This happens due to utter disregard on the owner’s part when he / she is more concerned about cutting costs. Cost reduction, remember, should never be done at the cost of others lives or safety.
When it comes to safety, it is not advisable to scrimp and save, by compromising on security measures. If something happens to one of your employees, the costs will be much higher. Negligence and lack of compliance with building regulations is also a crime. Of all the office safety tips listed here, this one is extremely essential and vital.
Teaching Employees Safety Drills
Schedule a date for emergency drills. Having fire alarms is important, but it is useless if your employees do not know what to do in the face of a crisis. Aside from fire drills, earthquake drills are also very important. When it comes to electric shocks, every person in the workplace must know how to deal with it. Knowing basic first aid techniques is also essential.
Ensure all Equipment is Working Properly
A lot of accidents happen in the office because of the malfunctioning of certain equipments. Perform regular maintenance checks on all network computers in the office. Check the fans to make sure that they are working properly. If a CPU overheats, the motherboard might burn out. It can start a fire. Install software that monitors the CPU temperature.
Other office safety tips include keeping an eye on the wiring behind the computers. These may get entangled and unplugged. If they are old, it might peel off and cause a fire. Have an electrician check the sockets and connections of every component.
Keep the Workplace Clear
A cluttered workplace makes it susceptible to accidents. A large pile of papers falling on tangled wires can cause damage to the computer. If the wiring gets pulled out suddenly, it might cause a spark and hurt the user.
Make certain that the switchboards are grounded. Do not just teach your employees how to use a computer. Also teach them how to detect any signs of malfunction of the machines.
Some More Tips
The following tips can also come in very handy while trying to ensure office safety.
- Insurance is an absolute necessity when it comes to ensuring office safety.
- Put locks on all the doors. This is particularly necessary if you manage a bank or financial institution.
- Another safety measure that is highly recommended includes the installation of video cameras.
- The exit signs must be denoted clearly. If you hold emergency drills regularly, no one will panic and everyone will know where to go. If you can afford it, also fireproof the furnishings in your office.
- All of these may sound easy, but acting properly when there is an accident is also extremely important. Only repeated training and seminars will make this possible.
Being aware of basic office safety tips is crucial for both the employer and the employee. As long as you are aware of what actions to take, you will be able to confront any emergency without losing your composure.